Congratulations! You’ve decided to spend the day in fabulous Sonoma County wine country. There is so much to do you will have lots of choices. There is sure to be something for everyone!
1) Go on a winery tour. Ever wonder how grapes become this magical liquid we call wine? Why is red wine, red and white wine, white? How do they get the bubbles into the champagne? What’s the difference between a Cabernet and a Pinot Noir? What exactly is the crush and what does a wine barrel look like? You will find out the answers to these and many more questions about the making of wine on a tour of a winery. Many wineries offer free tours and you can learn a lot about the process of making wine right where it happens – in a beautiful Sonoma County wine country winery!
2) Take a limo wine tasting tour. With more than 250 wineries to choose from, there is a lot of excellent wine to taste in Sonoma County. Taking a limo tour is a great way to ensure that you don’t have to worry about driving while you’re relaxing over a great glass of Sonoma County Cabernet. You can spend the day with your friends and visit as many wineries as you like. This way your only worry will be debating whether the Pinot is better than the Chardonnay or whether you should buy that bottle of Cabernet or the one of Merlot – or maybe both?
3) Go shopping! Both Healdsburg and Sonoma offer great shopping opportunities. In the center of both cities you will find a central square with wine tasting rooms and cute shops to visit. It would be easy to spend the day wandering through the antique shops in Healdsburg or exploring the quaint shops of Sonoma.
4) Go to a restaurant! All over Sonoma County you will find wonderful restaurants that take advantage of the great local produce grown in the temperate climate of wine country. Of course, what would a meal in wine country be without a bottle of wine? Along with that delicious food there are sure to be plenty of wonderful bottles of wine on offer that will perfectly compliment your meal. Of course, you may prefer to bring your own bottle of wine. Perhaps you would like to drink something you chose during your tour of the wineries? Most restaurants in Sonoma County will be happy to accommodate you for a small corkage fee.
5) Have a picnic! Don’t feel like being inside for lunch? No problem! Many of the wonderful Sonoma County wineries have outside picnic spots. Grab some cheese and crackers and head on out to explore. When you get hungry, buy a bottle of wine at the winery you’re at and presto – you’re lunching al fresco in wine country! Bon appétit!
6) Relax at a wine country spa! For the perfect compliment to a visit to wine country why not visit a spa? Start your day with an invigorating facial before you head out to go wine tasting. Or end your day with a stress-melting massage – the perfect compliment to a day spent lingering over fine wine. You will emerge perfectly relaxed and rejuvenated – ready to savor that fabulous Cabernet over a lovely dinner. Calistoga is particularly known for it’s many hot springs and spas. There are also great bed-and-breakfasts so if you find yourself too relaxed to face driving home – you don’t have to!